- The 600 MW run-of-the-river project is located on the lower course of the Kholongchhu River in Trashiyangtse District in Eastern Bhutan.
- The Project envisages an underground powerhouse of four 150 MW turbines with water impounded by a concrete gravity dam of 95 meters height.
- It will be implemented by Kholongchhu Hydro Energy Limited, a Joint Venture company formed between Druk Green Power Corporation of Bhutan and Satluj Jal Vidyut Nigam Limited of India.
- The is the first Joint Venture Hydroelectric Project between India and Bhutan. The project is expected to be completed in the second half of 2025.
Important Info :
- Hydropower sector is the flagship area of India-Bhutan bilateral cooperation.
- The 720 MW Mangdechhu hydroelectric project was jointly inaugurated earlier in August last year by the Prime Ministers of India and Bhutan.
- With this, four hydroelectric projects of bilateral cooperation totalling over 2100 MW, are already operational in Bhutan.