Bhabha Atomic Reserch Center (BARC)
- Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) has evolved a design for the first PPP research reactor for the production of nuclear medicines.
- The premier research organisation of the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) is starting to share the technology of production of a variety of nuclear medicines.
- The private entities will get exclusive rights to process and market the isotopes produced in the research reactor, in lieu of investing in the reactor and processing facilities.
- Union Finance Minister announced the establishment of a Research Reactor in PPP mode for the production of medical isotopes as a part of Aatmanirbhar Bharat initiatives for DAE.
- DAE has initiated discussion with potential Indian and global investors regarding this project to seek their inputs.
- The proposed reactor is expected to come online within five years of the beginning of the construction.
- Make in India’ vision of the Government, this project will be a major step towards making India self-reliant in key radioisotopes used in medical and industrial applications.
- It will increase the availability of effective and affordable treatments for cancer.
- The large scale and the technology being deployed for the planned research reactor will enable India to not only become a significant global player in the growing nuclear medicine market but also have one of the most modern research reactors anywhere in the world.
- BARC is the premier research institute for research in radio-isotopes for medical, industrial and research purposes for more than 60 years.
- BARC’s research has resulted in developing and processing many new radio-isotopes, reducing import dependency as well as making the lifesaving isotopes available to the country’s poorest of the poor at a most reasonable cost.
- India produces all major isotopes in the country under the aegis of BARC.
- It also imports some of the isotopes to fulfil the growing demand of the country from Europe, Australia and other Asian countries.
- The planned PPP has an opportunity to completely transform India’s stature in the global nuclear medicine industry
- The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) is India’s premier nuclear research facility, headquartered in Trombay, Mumbai, Maharashtra. BARC is a multi-disciplinary research centre with extensive infrastructure for advanced research and development covering the entire spectrum of nuclear science, engineering and related areas.
- BARC’s core mandate is to sustain peaceful applications of nuclear energy, primarily for power generation. It manages all facets of nuclear power generation, from the theoretical design of reactors to, computerized modelling and simulation, risk analysis, development and testing of new reactor fuel materials, etc. It also researches spent fuel processing and safe disposal of nuclear waste. Its other research focus areas are applications for isotopes in industries, medicine, agriculture, etc. BARC operates a number of research reactors across the country.