The Atapaka Bird Sanctuary at Kolleru Lake has become a safe breeding ground for two migratory species namely, Grey Pelicans and Painted Storks.
- The present water level in Kolleru Lake, including Atapaka Sanctuary, is posing a slight challenge for the birds to hunt their prey in the deep waters.
- Grey Pelican and Painted Stork both are near threatened species under IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- Kolleru lake is located between the deltas of the Krishna and Godavari rivers in Andhra Pradesh.
- The lake serves as a natural flood-balancing reservoir for the two rivers.
- It is an important habitat for an estimated 20 million residents and migratory birds like Grey or Spot-billed pelicans.
- It was notified as a Wildlife Sanctuary in 1999 under India’s Wild Life Protection Act,1972.
- It was declared a wetland of international importance in 2002 under Ramsar convention.